04 July 2007

Happy 231st Birthday!

Hello my fellow Americans, happy 4th of July! I waited to talk about my travels here because I thought an American tale deserved an American holiday. PS, I am wearing white socks in complete defiance of European culture. As I was saying . . . my flights were uneventful, other than getting through the monstrosity that is the Amsterdam airport. Be advised, however, that the Dutch have to be the coolest people around (not the German, stand-offish "cool", but the hip, Scandanavian, fashionable cool). It was my first time getting on to an airplane from the tarmac; we took a small jet from Amsterdam to Munich, on which I met a fellow American who completely confused the English-speaking Dutch stewardess by asking for a diet "pop". Living amongst East Coasters, I knew this was going to be a difficult situation for the poor Dutch woman. She was thinking "what is pop?" but all she could come up with was "I have Coke."
Leaving the baggage claim in Munich, I wasn't sure why I hadn't been asked for my passport and so I walked near the exit and asked the guard in English if I could leave that way. In a very hesitant English he told me I needed to wait for my luggage, and then I figured I should give him a break. My first German spoken in the Fatherland informed him I had no luggage. From his quick response in German and his deep breath, it was clear this guy was so relieved. While on the train from Munich to Stuttgart, a 3-hour ride, the conductor checked my Eurail pass, then my passport. He looked at me with a wryly grin: "Aah, from America. Thank you!" in an Ahhnold-esque accent. I returned the gesture auf Deutsch and afterwards there was no more questions asked. I was beginning to think this being American thing wasn't so bad after all.
Indeed, it got even better! Once in Marbach, as I got off the S-Bahn (the suburban commuter trains) and an older woman asked me if I knew how to walk to Schillerhöhe (the area I'm staying in) and I told her, in fact, I don't because I am just an American trying to find his own way there. With her two other older friends (all of whom were headed to an art festival next to the literature archive), she and I got a taxi. As I was getting ready to pay my share of the fare, she said "No, you do not have to pay. You are my American guest and I know students don't have a lot of money."
Aaah, while todayI might not have hot dogs, fireworks, or CNN, I at least know that I will always be the American, white socks and all. Happy Independence Day from one Yank to another!

8 comments:

  1. Hey Michael,
    Good to hear things are going good and you made it through easily. I'm jealous you're getting to do this traveling of a lifetime. Enjoy and I can't wait to hear more on your trip.

    Maria (Kuelbs)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael,
    We are so glad to hear you are doing well and arrive safe in Germany.We will be looking forward to reading of your travels.
    God Bless America!! We attended 2 parades, ate hotdogs and apple pie in honor of the day.
    Stay safe and have fun!
    Love,
    The Deutsch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael,
    Classic American tale! At least some parts of this world still love Americans. Hope you are doing well and looking forward to your next post. :)
    <3 Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi we are all fine and the golfers are doing great but need a gate keeper. We enjoyed a bottle of wine from the mosel as Amy had been there in June. It is really sweet and good. Do keep us updated and enjoy yourself. You only live once. It is hot today and the wind keeps blowing. Have fun and love ya Betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michael how are you doing? things are going just fine here. I read your first blogg, I found it very interesting, the poor American student thing is great.I have a new driver, called BLUE THUNDER, it is improving my driving distance. take it easy LOVE DAD.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mik, Glad to hear your doing well.bet your having a great time. Tomarrow i will give your dad his third golfing lesson!!Today i only beat him by one stroke.He must have told you aboutthe blue thunder.. these two a day training sessions.are wearing this old fossil down but its fun. iF THINGS GET TOUGH ,DONT FORGET TO BRICK UM!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michael
    Thank you for representing America to Europe for the 4th of July. You can have all our hot weather as a reward! Looking forward to the further adventures of my favorite young traveler. Stay safe, eat well and enjoy it all
    love ellen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha
    Only you Michael, only you. I'm glad you made it all right- in Amsterdam, they thought my dad's passport was fake due to a machine error, so they detained him for 20 minutes! Enough said.

    Keep this up, I like it! Happy Monday.
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete